The campus of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) comprises about 311 acres of land that lie just west of the city’s Loop area. Officially, the University’s address is 601 South Morgan Street but to most city inhabitants and nearly all of the student body, the address for the University is simply given as the intersection of Halsted and Harrison Streets.
According to U.S. News, total student enrollment for the 2016/2017 academic year was 29,048, making UIC the largest of the approximately 60 colleges and universities located within Chicago’s city limits. The student population is evenly split with males and females each accounting for 50 percent of the student body. About 16 percent of students live in university-owned housing with the remainder commuting to campus from the city and suburbs. Tuition and fees for the current 2016/2017 term run approximately $13,670 for Illinois residents and $26,526 for out-of-state residents.
The university is made up of 15 colleges, including its College of Medicine, which happens to be the largest medical school in the United States. Besides serving as a place of education, the university is also a major research center, receiving hundreds of millions of dollars in grants and funding each year to carry out various research and development projects. The College of Medicine alone is reported to spend more than $400 million per year on research-related expenses, making it one of the top 50 research institutions in the United States.
While technically, the university was founded in 1965, its roots can be traced to a much earlier date with the passage of the first federal Morrill Act of 1862. Named in honor of their author, Congressman Justin Smith Morrill, from Vermont, there were actually two Morrill Acts passed by Congress. The first was in 1862, prior to the Civil War and the second, in 1890, that specifically addressed former Confederate states, readmitted to the Union following the Civil War. At the heart of both Morrill Acts was a provision that conveyed ownership of land from the federal government to the states, in exchange for each state using the land and its proceeds at sale for establishment of colleges and universities. Known as “land grant” colleges and universities, Morrill’s bill made possible the development of some of the finest colleges and universities in the United States. In Illinois, the bill ushered into effect the original University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana in 1867.
In exchange for agreeing to the location of Champaign-Urbana for the State’s land grant university, politicians in Chicago extracted a promise that a branch of the university would be opened in Chicago, offering study in technical disciplines. At the time, three private technical colleges were already operating in Chicago. The Chicago College of Pharmacy, founded in 1859; the College of Physicians and Surgeons, founded in 1882; and the Columbian College of Dentistry, funded in 1891. Toward the end of the century, these three colleges would affiliate with the University of Illinois, becoming fully incorporated into the University In 1913, as the Chicago Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy.1 2 next >>
Comments are closed